Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wrapping Up Our Mayo Trip...


Just one of many cool forms of art that I saw while going to HH's various appointments. We didn't get to take the self guided art tour, but there was awesome art everywhere!

A bit on efficiency: I so want to meet the person behind the curtain here at Mayo. I LOVE how efficient they were at everything. There was so much that seemed effortless. I realize that it takes WORK for things to appear so effortless. (People have commented about this in my classroom management/organization skills, but they don't understand it takes A LOT to get it to run at that high level of efficiency. I am always looking for a way to make things better.)

Here is the Barnes and Noble that is part of the theater. It was very cool. HH and I enjoyed cupcakes there last night as he read to me, Revolutionary Mothers. The book was very interesting, but I will say it is HH's insistence that I complete this book that kept it coming back to the table again and again.


Behold the giant naked man statue. This is where HH and I were supposed to meet if we were to get lost from one another. (HH lost his blackberry, so we couldn't simply call one another.) I am going to inquire from my insurance to see if I can go to Mayo next year with HH. I thought it would be really good to have all my bloodwork drawn up here by one of their endocrinologists.



This picture didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. When I was a nanny for three girls, they loved getting Blizzards from DQ. I never understood how each of them would always "save" half of their blizzard and put it in the freezer to eat at a later time (not just later that night either). I now get it. This blizzard is about 75-80% full (although the picture doesn't really show it). I could be a blizzard saver like they were. While it was great, it was simply too much to eat.
We really didn't get to much off of my big list, but I am ok with that. I think the biggest part was that I had crammed our weekend so full with things, I just hit a wall where a nap was in order. We did manage to make it to Newt's Bar, where I enjoyed one of Rochester's best burgers (seven years running). They also had these fried mashed potato bites that were OUT OF THIS WORLD! My favorite foodie experience here was by far Daude's Bakery. They had an amazing pizza that was made from bacon, carmelized onions, and muester (spelling?) cheese. I had three pieces of this, and don't regret it at all. (Note: The three pieces were spread out over a long period of time. I still can't eat a large volume of food in any one sitting.) I am actually going to the bakery this morning to see if the pizza is available for me to take with me. :)
The Doctor did tell HH that he needs to lose weight. When we came up to Mayo, we had decided on a new going out to eat policy. I never finish my food. Usually, I eat about 40-50% of what is on my plate. HH has now started to finish what I don't eat. This will cut down on our dining out bills, and HH will cut down on his portions too.

No comments: