Monday, January 25, 2010

Hudson River Landing....

I was reading tonight from People magazine about the after affects of the Hudson River landing on those who were on the flight, and was very intrigued by some of the effects.....

* a couple who had been dating forever decided it was finally time to tie the knot
* a corporate power couple decided to stop trying to climb the ladder, and build a family
* a man decided to run that marathon he had talked about for oh so many years
* two strangers decided to give love a go, and are now engaged

I was impressed about how your life changes after such a traumatic event. While things can always have a negative effect, often great change comes from tragedy....change for good.

This made me reflect back to my decision almost three years ago, to have surgery. Yes, there were risks involved, but at the point I was at, any thought of a possible life better than what I was living was worth that risk. Now, I am trying new things and taking risks that I never would have thought of before.

I didn't survive an emergency landing on the Hudson River, but I am a survivor of being morbidly obese for so many years. I let it chip away and away at my physical and mental health.

Don't live life on the sidelines folks. Don't. Don't wait until a near fatal incident to decide to make the decisions that you need to make.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Great post. Sometimes your words just say exactly what I need to hear!

PS - Love the blog redesign - I've been a lazy commenter lately (thanks to Google Reader!) and haven't seen it yet :)