Saturday, December 29, 2007

New Book

I am currently reading Dr. Ben Carson's Take the Risk. Dr. Carson has an amazing personal story, and is a man I greatly admire. I just started the book tonight. I have taken a lot of academic risks in my life. I have hidden behind my weight in taking social and physical risks. Well, many of the physical risks I was simply unable to do because of my weight. Now that I am shedding the weight, I want to work on taking more risks. I have lived my life in this obese cocoon, and I want out.

I don't just want to plan pie in the sky physically challenging activities...I want to accomplish them. I want to overcome my shyness and socialize more. I'm not far into the book, but something that I really liked was how Dr. Carson analyzes risk. He asks these four questions:

* What is the best thing that can happen if I do this?
* What is the worst thing that can happen if I do this?
* What is the best thing that can happen if I don't do this?
* What is the worst thing that can happen if I don't do it?

No comments: