Monday, August 27, 2007

Carelessness!!!

My best friend from college, Penny, is having Lap Band surgery on September 6th. A few months after I announced that I was having WLS, she decided to start the process to do the same. What Penny didn't realize is that I had spent the better part of the previous YEAR researching and learning more about the different types of surgeries, and what life would be like after surgery. I really feel like she is jumping into this so haphazardly.

As her friend, I have asked her tons of tough honest questions. How will you get your supplements in? (She HATES taking pills.) Do you realize that for the size you are that the Lap Band is probably NOT going to give you the results that you desire? Do you understand that PROTEIN will have to be the first thing on your brain all day every day? (She is a huge carb/bread eater.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want her to fail at her WLS. I do however want anyone that decides to have a WLS to realize the huge commitment that they are making. The surgery itself is only a few hours, but you have to make choices for the rest of your life in order to make it successful. As I share with others about my WLS, I want to make sure I convey what a big commitment it is.

1 comment:

Danyele said...

I have a friend.. well, more of a good acquaintance who was/is researching the lapband too. Her start weight is over 350, her Dr. has advised her against the lapband because he doesn't feel it will be beneficial to her.. and she still insists. You know why? So that she can still drink wine and other alcohol. You just can't reason with some people. Unfortunately not everyone is truly ready to deal with their obesity and change their lives for real. You most definitely sound ready. I wish you all the best.