Saturday, March 13, 2010

Yeah It's Her Thing...

I invited our former student teacher back to our class yesterday. He is doing the rest of his student teaching assignment with another teacher now. We were talking about assimilation, and I knew that he could relate perfectly since he came from Quito to the states. He did a really good job explaining what was easy and what was difficult about adjusting to life in the US. He took questions from the students, and I was really proud of the questions my students asked (and how closely they stayed on topic). Then my student teacher asks....

"In Ecuador when you go to restaurants are the portions super big like they are here in the United States?"

I can tell she is really judgemental on what she sees on other people's plates/shopping carts, etc. The talk has not come yet, but words are a brewing. We all have different things we are fixated on, and this is certainly one of hers. I feel like the pot calling the kettle black here, but for me the fixation comes from I can't ever let myself get so close to dying again. I think I would have been dead by 35 had I not had the DS, and continued to put on 15-20 pounds per year.

No comments: