Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Salt in the Wounds...

My student teacher starts talking to me about her bias towards morbidly obese people today on our planning. SERIOUSLY. She worked as a director of an after school program for two years, and pretty much made big generalizations about how lazy all fat people were. How she had so little sympathy for them watching the garbage they shuffled into their mouth, and not trying to help themselves. She went on and on.

I didn't know what to say today that didn't involve dropping several F bombs. I am going to try to simmer down, but this needs to be addressed. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

MB said...

ARGH! You might try discussing the science behind it all. I did a blog about this (and the Leptin gene, etc., etc.) just a little while back. This is what bothers me so much about these folks who are so judgmental--most of them don't understand the issue at all.

Good luck, however you approach it.

ChiTown Girl said...

WOW! Do your coworkers know about this blog? If so, I'd say give the bee-otch this web address, without saying anything else, and let her discover her ignorance on her own. I'd love to be in the room when she realizes how hurtful and cruel her misguided words were to you.

If no one at school knows about this, I guess you really can't out yourself just to make a point, huh?