Saturday, January 24, 2009

What a Difference a Week Makes...

Last week, I was getting ready for another date with Ben. Today, I am going wedding dress shopping! I am a bit apprehensive about the whole size of the dress. I wonder what size I will be able to wear. I know that typically wedding dresses run small. (What a great way to feed the body insecurities that so many women have...thanks wedding industry!)

Back at the beginning of October, I tried on a size 8 wedding dress, and it zipped about half the way up. My friend Mandi remembered that her sister-in-law had to have the dress taken in on the sides.

The whole sizing thing still weirds me out. I put on a pair of jeans the other day that I had not worn since I went to Seattle in Novemeber, and was amazed that they still fit. Why? My weight had not changed hardly at all since then. Then, I realized I was thinking with my fat girl mind. I hit a progression for about 10 years where all I did was increase in size. (There was one brief period where I lost 40 pounds.) The pants would get tighter and tighter until finally I had to purchase the next size. It is a new way of thinking that I might actually get tired of an item of clothing long before I actually wear out the material.

I forgot to mention one thing that the style consultant mentioned to me yesterday. We were talking about body types, and the proper clothing to wear with your type. She mentioned that one of the biggest mistakes people who wear plus size clothing make is to wear a lot of prints and patterns. This lady was so nice. It was clear that she had never been a plus sized person herself. I wanted to say to her that it would be nice if the fashion industry had given us a choice. So often, I dressed by what I could "fit into" not what I saw as cute and fashionable.

No comments: