Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Reflections from Onederland....

I had fully intended to write a more detailed post yesterday, but most of the day was spent in a happy-go-lucky fog. :) Here goes my best effort...

There are so many words I have in my head, yet hard to form on here. I guess I come from a different perspective than some. I have always been fat. I've never known how good life can be as someone with a healthy weight. I love how easy it is to move around, and how much energy that I have. I love naps, and think that I always will cherish a great one. The difference now is that I don't "need" them just to make it through a day.

While there still are some mental body image issues, I like the person I physically see in the mirror each day. I am not ashamed or disgusted of what I see. I feel like more and more of my personality is coming out. I think by being so heavy, I never wanted to draw attention to myself. This meant that I was completely quiet and reserved.

One thing I have sadly noticed is how differently people treat me now. I feel like I am respected 100 fold more at work. Men will wait and hold doors open for me. People look me in the eye and smile more. I don't think many people would say that they treat fat people like second class citizens, but those of you who have been there know that you have experienced it.

I also have noticed that I now have goals which involve being physically active. I have always had academic and professional goals, now I am branching out. I want to sky dive, go white water rafting, etc now. I want to do things that previously my weight would have stopped me completely from doing.

I am so thankful for the support of many DSers that have gone before me. There are many things I have not had to go through because I have been able to rely on the experience of others.

1 comment:

Tia L. said...

Very well said. I'm soooo happy for you!

- Tia