Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Motivation....

Warning: This is another one of those posts where I am not exactly sure what my thoughts/feelings are completely on an issue, but I am just blogging to process my thoughts. Here goes...

A lady in my office is getting divorced. It is actually voodoo lady. (The one who had lap band surgery, and has been really rude to me since I had my WLS.) I am truly sad for her. She has two kids as well. I complimented her yesterday on losing weight. She says, "I have lost 11 pounds. I have to lose weight so I can get back on the market."

Ok, into my head rush a sea full of thoughts. I realize that we all got overweight and obese in a variety of ways. Why was she not good enough to lose weight for herself personally? If I were her spouse, it would be hurtful to think that I was not good enough to be healthy for, yet some random stranger I would be going on a blind date is worth that effort.

There are many studies that talk about weight gain and marriage. I don't have any exact statistics, but a vague one I remember for people in their twenties was an average weight gain of 15-20 pounds for each spouse within the first three-five years of marriage. Couples figure they can let themselves go, because they have already "attracted" their mate.

I want to look good for my future mate. I really really do. I have experienced the whole "letting oneself go" philosophy of life, and I'm scared as I don't know what for that to ever happen to me again. I now have the powerful tool of the DS on my side so I don't let this happen again. It is not even about looking good for a mate, I want to look good FOR ME. I want to be happy with the person I see staring back at me in the mirror.

No comments: