Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hitting a Little Too Close To Home...

Last night I watched the movie "Norbit" starring Eddie Murphy. Several parts of the movie hit a little too close to home. I was reminded how it seems very acceptable to our society to have a laugh at a fat person's expense. (This is the second movie that Eddie Murphy has been in that has done this...the other being The Nutty Professor.) Several things that happened to Norbit's wife, stung pretty deep as I thought about my personal experiences with being SMO.

The scene that hit the hardest was they were going to a water park. You have to go through those turnstile (spelling?) booths to be admitted. His wife was struggling to get through there, and finally broke the booth. I remembered a few years ago I went to a concert with my best friend Wendy and we had to go through one of those. She went through first, and kept walking. I struggling to get through it. (Keep in mind, I was probably 50-70 pounds less than my surgery weight.) I finally got through, and raced to catch up with her so she wouldn't think anything was wrong with me. Back in August, when I went with my family to the zoo. I saw the turnstile booth again. It literally sent me into a panic. Luckily, we did not have to go through this. I am fully suspecting we will be going through when we go to Disney on vacation.

Even when I reach goal, I hope I always have a sensitivity to SMO people. Letting them know I've been there, and I know how bad it hurts. Not trying to sound pious, but I don't ever want to have a laugh at the cost of someone else's self-esteem.

No comments: