Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So Much for Trying to be Proactive...


I called yesterday to set up an appointment with a Registered Dietitian.  I saw that it was covered under my health plan, and I thought it would be excellent to have a few consult appointments.

The receptionist asked me if I had diabetes, and then if I was overweight.  I said no to both, and she asks me why I wanted an appointment with the RD.  I said, "I just wanted to get tips on looking at my diet, and learning how to eat better."  In the insurance world you get no points for being proactive.  That's right...it would be covered if I had diabetes or was overweight, but since I don't have either of those I don't have a "billable diagnosis."  If I want to see an RD, it would be on my own dime at $64 an hour (the self pay rate).

So much for being proactive....

No comments: