Friday, November 5, 2010

Repost from Dina at Living the DS Life

This post is from Dina's Blog "Living the DS Life."  Dina had the DS eight years ago.  She is one of the main reasons I decided to go with the surgery after reading about her journey.  Please go check out her blog!

Sorry, I Just Gotta Rant....

I know (or at least I thought I did!) without a doubt, that when you decide the DS is the surgery for you that about 90% of the patients really do due diligence and research the ins and outs and at least think they have an understanding of what it will take to Live the DS Life.


PEOPLE!

I’m sorry – but – DO NOT BE STUPID!

There is NEVER a time as a post-op when you just arbitrarily stop taking your vitamins/supplements and getting your labs done.

As in N-E-V-E-R.

Ever.

NEVER EVER!

What convoluted thinking goes through the mind of someone who ASKED for malabsorption to decide to do something like (which I’ve overheard more than once in the past couple of weeks…):

“Well, when I hit 4 years post-op I decided I probably didn’t need to take vitamins anymore…”

or…

“I quit taking my vitamins – oh – about a year ago – and gosh, I haven’t been feeling very well…”

HELLO?!

McFly!

DID YOU CHECK YOUR BRAIN AT THE DOOR?!

(Yes, I’m mad. If you are fortunate enough to HAVE a DS and you choose to be an idiot with it – then yes, I’m mad!)

NO – a multivitamin now and then is NOT sufficient.

NO – taking some bariatric vitamin company’s “special” formulation DOESN’T cut it!

NO – just because you feel okay now doesn’t mean it’s not all going to EVENTUALLY hit the fan.

UGH!

Please, please, please! Raise your right hand and repeat after me, “I will not be a stupid DS’er! I will get my labs done REGULARLY, FAITHFULLY. I WILL NOT be stupid and let someone else tell me that because the result falls in “normal range” that everything is fine. I WILL NOT CHECK MY BRAIN AT THE DOOR! I WILL do due diligence and take my vitamins, get my labs done, and have someone who understands them interpret them! I will NOT take my DS for granted!”

Okay?

Please!

Alright, I’m going to try and calm down now. Thank you for putting up with my rant.

No comments: