Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thank You Early Release

This morning my Math para said she was entering some baked goods in a local competition in honor of our Pow Wow festivities.  I asked when the deadline was, and she said 5:00.  I called to make sure that non-tribal members were allowed to participate.  I was delighted to find out we could!  I made three entries.

Maple-Pecan Cake with Brown-Sugar Frosting


For the Cake:
* nonstick cooking spray
* 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 sticks of butter
* 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 3/4 cup whole milk
* 1 cup chopped pecans

For the Frosting:
* 8 ounces cream cheese
* 1 1/2 sticks of butter
* 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
* 2 cups powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
2.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar on high until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, add maple syrup.  Add flour mixture in two additions, alternating with milk, beating well after each addition.  Fold in pecans.  
3.  Put in cake pan (two 9 inch pans, or a bundt pan), and cook for 30-35 minutes.  
4.  Make frosting.
5.  Allow cake to cool, and apply icing.

Almond Joy Chocolate Chip Cookies


These cookies were not very thick, and it was almost as if they were burnt, but they weren't.  I wished they had been more visually appealing.  I still decided that taste wise they were still worthy of entering.

Tropical Carrot Cake Cookies


These cookies were amazing.  I saved four for our neighbor Janice, and packed the rest up for the competition.

Chicken and Dressing Casserole


HH loves Stovetop stuffing.  I could make it for him every night, and he wouldn't complain.  He was delighted when he came in from working in the yard to smell Stovetop.  

The city came and dug up part of our back yard to replace a pipe that had been leaking.  I am thankful to have that fixed before winter.  

Apparently, in an Ambien induced state, I told Ben I was excited about going to Sioux Falls this weekend.  We had talked about it, and decided not to.  He brought it up a few days ago, and I said I was excited.  I'm glad he is not manipulative, because he could say I said just about anything, and I wouldn't remember it.

HH also asked what my next "kitchen" purchase I was eying was.  I told him a really nice cast iron skillet.  I have chosen this Le Creuset skillet.  I'm going to buy it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond so I can use my 20% off coupon.  If they don't have it in stock, they will mail it to you.  




No comments: