Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cupcakes, Cookies, and Dinner Oh My!

Today was kinda a last hoorah, as tomorrow I'll be going back to work.  I'm working on an online class with a colleague about Common Core Standards.  Our goal is to try and finish up most of the work before school starts.  The class is just a month, and I do get paid to take it. 
 
Next week I'm going to work on setting up my classroom.  I was in a big purging mode at the end of the school year, and hope to continue that for a day or so.  I really like entering the school year feeling very prepared, and mentally it does something to help me start the year right.
 
I took the nuggets at the daycare Gone Fishin Cupcakes.  These were super quick to make, and didn't take any decorating talent at all.  I just used a writing icing pen from the grocery store to make the "fishing line."
 
 
I also made S'more Pudding Cookies.  I shared those with our dinner guests, and will be taking the rest to work tomorrow to pass out.
 
 
For dinner we had Chicken Divan Casserole.
 
 
 
2/3 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup butter
4 boneless skinless chiclen breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces (about 2.5 pounds)
1/2 chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp dry sherry
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (14 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
2 cups cubed French bread (I used croutons, as we don't have French bread on the Rez.)
2 Tbsp. melted butter
 
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Cook rice according to package directions, and keep warm.
 
2.  In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and onion, and cook, stirring often, for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Add flour, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add chicken broth, milk, and sherry, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in cheese.  Add broccoli and cooked rice, stirring gently to combien.  Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
 
3.  In a small bowl, combine French bread (or croutons) and 2 Tbsp. melted butter, tossing gently to coat.  Sprinkle evenly over casserole.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
 
 
 
I thought it was a bit bland, so I added The Melting Pot's Garlic and Wine Seasoning to it. 
 
 
 

No comments: