Sunday, August 16, 2009

What Has Been Cooking?

I told Ben that once I didn't work two jobs, I would be happy to learn how to cook. Since I have given up all hope that The Biggest Diabetic Loser will adopt Ben and I into her household (man, the food they eat is AWESOME!), I am going to have to keep striking out on my own! I am using a Taste of Home magazine with five ingredient recipes to start out with. Here is what we had las week for dinner:

1. Bow ties with asparagus and prosciutto

2. Homemade thin crust pizza

3. Ham and rice bake

4. Bacon and cheeseburger pasta

5. Beefy beans n' rice

I would eat them all again, with the exception of the ham and rice bake. It just was kinda blah. I know I will fall into a groove with cooking, but I don't want to get into a rut like my mom did. We always had the same few dishes over and over again. I like variety.

This week we are having:

1. Sausage manicotti

2. Potato cheese soup

3. Snap peas and ham alfredo

4. Hot dog bean soup

5. Hearty sausage and potatoes

6. Pizza soup

7. Creamed spinach and ham pasta

Tonight is the sausage manicotti, and I am excited about that. The house smells so good as it is cooking right now.

The farmer's market yielded several items for us: creamed honey with cinnamon flavor, blueberry zucchini bread, carrot pineapple and date bread, a tomato salad dressing, two different flavors of cheese, and a bag of kettle corn. We could have gotten lots of fresh produce, but I had done the bulk of the shopping already. I would like to go there in two more weeks or so.

Tomorrow after work, Ben and I are going to get my driver's license changed (my new social security card came in the mail yesterday), then off to Verizon to merge our cell phone accounts, and then getting me put on Ben's drivers insurance.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I LOVE Taste of Home! I used to have a subscription years ago. I saved every issue, and still refer to them frequently. If the potato soup is the same recipe that I have, you're going to LOVE it!!! Mine is also from Taste of Home, but it's from literally at least 14years ago. :)

Congrats on your cooking efforts. I'm proud of you!

A new store just opened in my neighborhood, and it's really basically a produce store. I can't get enough of this place. I stopped there after work today and spent $100 in the blink of an eye! There's nothing better than fresh, delicious fruits and veggies. I went a bit overboard, but I feel good knowing there is so much healthy food in my house right now. The point of sharing all this is that I totally get the farmer's market thing. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey - thanks for the shout out!!

I have Taste of Home Light - have you seen that one?

I love your meal plan - curious about the hot dog bean soup!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

My sister Biz does make some pretty awesome food!!

Too bad she lives an hour away from me, or else I'd be at her house for dinner every night!