Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Few Things I've Learned about Cooking...

1. Spices really do make a difference. I thought that surely such a small quantity could not change the flavor of a dish so much, but ever a teaspoon of a spice can make all the difference.

2. If I don't start cooking as soon as I get home, I simply won't do it. Once I sit down and start vegging, it is all over for me.

3. I love the smell of fresh garlic in my kitchen! I WILL own a garlic press this weekend though! Hand chopping is for the BIRDS! (Thanks ChiTown Girl!)

4. Finding new recipes is fun. I am not doing anything that requires great skill, but I am building up my confidence.

5. Clean up the kitchen as you go. There is no need for me to punish myself after a nice dinner by a heap of dishes to do, countertops to clean, etc. I learned this one from my mom. I load the dishwasher as I cook, and it saves me a ton of time in the end.

The Menu Next Week:

1. Bacon and Cheddar Meatloaves
2. Lasagna
3. Cabbage-Sausage Supper
4. Tuna Casserole

Two nights I will be home late, so Ben will be having leftovers fending for his poor self! Ha Ha!

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

Oo, honey, lasagna? That's ambitious! Although, I'm sure you won't be making it the way our crazy Dago family makes it. It's literally an ALL DAY event, starting with homemade sauce. Then, you have to fry up about 200 little marble-sized meatballs....

But, I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm sure it will be delicious! Hey, if you and Ben like veggie lasagna, I'd be happy to send you my recipe. I make it a lot, as my son loves it. My friends also love it, so I make it often for company. Let me know :)