Sunday, August 3, 2008

I am a size what???

I had said at the beginning of the summer that I was going to try to focus less on what I actually weigh, and more on going down a size. Well, I wish I could say that I had focused less on my weight (I still obsess over the scale)! My goal was to be able to wear a size 10 pair of dress pants by August 12th (the first day of school).

I can wear a size 8 dress pants!!! Talk about doing a happy jig in the dressing room. It is so strange how your body always shrinks even when the scale isn't budging. I also bought TWO size small skirts!!! (They are the looser fitting type.)

I held up the pants, and could not believe that my entire body fit into them. I am still in awe of the fact that I am really not as big as I think in my head. Putting on these pants made it tangible.
I bought a pair of size 10 jeans, and they fit very nicely. (I have noticed that I will go down a size in dress pants before I go down a size in jeans.) I was asking the lady at the checkout counter if she felt these jeans ran true to size (since we have so much vanity sizing these days), and she said yes. She said, "I'm an eight." Then proceeds to hold the jeans up to her, and says they look very true to size. (I am also thinking in my head that there is no way I am just one size bigger than her. Why can't I see what is actually there?)

This is the first year of teaching that I will start out as a non-obese person. It thrills me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am still in awe of the fact that I am really not as big as I think in my head.

Speaking from personal experience, you may find this never goes away. I lost over 150lbs, over 20 years ago and I still think I am bigger than I am. Since I refuse to try on clothes, I usually end up wearing clothing too big for me. A part of me wonders if that's a holdover, not wanting to draw attention to my body and hiding among volumes of fabric. I guess hiding in volumes of fabric is better than hiding in volumes of fat :).

PS. I have a google alert set for "vanity sizing" which is how I landed here. I believe there is no such thing as vanity sizing per se; it's really sizing inflation owing to the girth increase of the average consumer. If you're so inclined, you can read up here:
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/the_myth_of_vanity_sizing.html