Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Renting Verses Owning

My thoughts for this post come from reading a post at "Cranky Fitness." She discusses how different things are when you are renting verses owning.

I have owned my condo for just over four years. There are many upkeep type things that I now worry about that I never once gave a second thought to as a renter. For example, one thing right now I need to schedule is for my carpets to be shampooed. This is something I would have never given a second thought to when I was a renter.

How does this relate to my body? For most of my life, I have been a renter, not a owner. It has only been since having my DS, that I've really worked at starting to take ownership of it. What I put into my body matters. Yes, I make mistakes, but I make them far fewer than before. I have given up Coca Cola for good. I read labels more closely. I am working on making exercise a consistent part of my life.

I could have continued to view my body as a rental, but at what cost? At the rate I was going, I would have been on permanent disability within five-ten years. I have no clue what health problems would have began to compound. Would I have even made it to my 40th birthday? Many questions run through my mind.

I could continue to live in denial, and go back to my old ways of thinking that my body is a rental, but it will eventually catch up with me, and I will have to live with the consequences. Every moment I am making decisions on which way I view my body.

No comments: