Friday, July 20, 2007

More Background On My Life Long Struggle With Weight

I wanted to give a more indepth background about my struggle with weight. I remember weighing 90 pounds in third grade. I was wearing a size 20 in seventh grade. I believe by my freshman year I was wearing a size 24. The only store I could shop in was Lane Bryant. My younger brother and sister have never been overweight. Although my parents are slightly overweight, they are no where near morbidly obese like me. (Actually, at the time of my surgery, I was "SUPER MORBIDLY OBESE.")

The summer before my senior year of high school, I got my parents to take me to a Medical Weight Management place. I was shocked to realize that I weighed 317 pounds. They were giving out Phen-Phen. During the course of my senior year, and the fall of my freshman year of college I lost about 90 pounds. Once I was off Phen-Phen, the weight started piling back on viciously. I remember the summer before I started teaching, I went to Weight Watchers, and my weight was back up to 293. Two different times since I have started teaching I have lost between 30-40 pounds. One time was with medicine, the other was without.

Several people have asked me about what my "goal" weight is. The truth is I have no clue. I have not been below 220 pounds since before seventh grade. I have "ideas" in my head of what I think I would like to weigh, but I am not sure. I just want to be healthier.

I long for the day when I can scan the room, and realize I am not the fattest person in it.

No comments: