Monday, April 16, 2012

Key Lime Bars

I told my students I should incorporate more green into my life.  I was starting this week by making Key Lime Bars and Key Lime cake.  Tonight, I made the Key Lime Bars...



1 1/4 cups flour
30 vanilla wafers, broken into pieces
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter

Cream Cheese Layer:
1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Key Lime Layer
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup key lime juice

Additional powdered sugar

1.  In a food processor, combine the flour, wafers, powdered sugar, and pecans; cover and process until nuts are fine.  Add butter; cover and pulse until crumbled. 

2.  Press into an ungreased 13 x 9 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on a wire rack.

3.  In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla until blended; spread over crust to edges of pan.  In another small bowl, combine sugar and flour; whisk in eggs and lime juice.  Gently pour over cream cheese layer.

4.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set.  Cool on a wire rack.  Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.  Cut into bars.  Before serving, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.

(My bars and cooling, and I'll be slicing and adding powdered sugar soon.)

No comments: