Monday, July 18, 2011

Tonight's Dinner

This blog is going to pretty much go all foodie for a bit.  That's all I have folks.  We are still working on the house, specifically the office/bunk bed room, and the sunroom.  I am trying to decide how much I will blog about the specifics of the church or where we live, as I don't want to be the target of a Google search gone wrong.  I know I will blog about my life, I just want to think about how I go about that living in such Small Town USA.

I am going to start working on my classroom soon.  It may not be until next week, because I will need HH's help.  I do know that I want to do a classroom makeover.  My classroom was never blah, but I need some new decorating themes/ideas.  I will be on the lookout for things from Target, etc to make my room more personal and homey.  After all, I have to spend eight hours a day there, I need to like it too!


Mediterranean Pork Chops:
I used the George Foreman grill (second night in a row).  I don't know why I got away from using this thing, I used to use it quite a bit in college back in the day.  While the pork chops were grilling, I sauteed zucchini in a skillet, added 3/4 cup chicken broth, 1.5 t Oregano, and some cherry tomatoes.  I poured this over the pork chops.

Roasted Asparagus:
I set the oven to 450, and put salt and pepper (and a bit of cooking spray) on the asparagus.  It cooked for eight minutes, and I added Parmesan cheese to it.

I personally think this meal was a whole lot better than last night's dinner.  (Remember HH is staying mum.)  I used chicken from a bag, and there was a bit of a "weird taste" to it that had to have come from the chicken itself.  My pallet is very picky, and I noticed this right away.  It certainly wasn't the sauce it marinated in, because I sampled that several times while making it, and loved it.

Lessons I am Learning:
Cooking is less time consuming than I used to think.  I am learning the art of multi-tasking, and this whole dinner took me about twenty-five minutes.  I used to send HH all the time to get me Moe's Southwest Grill across town, had I just known how I could have made myself something quick and easy.  Nothing like the learning you are forced to do when your back is against the wall...I have the time and resources to cook here, so I might as well.

Reading Material:

I have burned through all nine Pretty Little Liars books.  The next one doesn't come out for months.  I am now going to read Julia Child's My Life in France.


Completely Unnecessary, but I wanted it...

When I was taking my cooking classes, all the chef's who taught it had their own "tasting spoon."  It was just as much a part of their tool kit as their knives and apron.  I ordered mine off an etsy shop tonight!


Of course mine will say Chef Tiffany!

Tomorrow I am learning how to make Indian Tacos and Fry Bread at the church.  I will try to snap a few pictures!  I have already sampled Fry Bread (think funnel cake without the powdered sugar, yet it is sweet enough to stand on its own), and know I like it.  The Indian Tacos will be a new venture for me.

2 comments:

Sean Anderson said...

Awesome pics!!! Indian tacos---Yum...

Amanda said...

Long time reader...1st time poster. So I was looking for a new book series to read about the time you posted about pretty little liars. I'm a 34 year old woman but I enjoy reading teenage literature sometimes. I still feel like I relate. Honestly, I would probably still read Babysitter's Club if I thought no one was looking :)

Anyway, I got engrossed in the Pretty Little Liars, but I have to say I felt a little ripped off that it took 8 books (at $8.99 a piece on my phone reader) to get to the end. Is it just me? I really need to learn to utilize the public library...but I really like being able to just download the next book when I'm ready for it.