Saturday, October 27, 2012

Recipe Lump Post...A Long Read

I was supposed to have Curriculum Cabinet from 9-2 today, so I was pleasantly surprised when it was cancelled yesterday.  I had already geared myself up for a short weekend.  I made a lot this week. 
 
I got three packages mailed off, including a package of clothes I had ordered that didn't fit well at all.
 
 
 
These are the only cookies where I didn't like the taste of the batter.  I always try a taste, to make sure I didn't leave anything out.  I was a bit skeptical about them, but they turned out really well.  Adding applesauce did make them very moist.
 
 
 
... Minus the Oreo because I couldn't find any in Pierre! :(  I substituted colored sprinkles instead.
 
 
 
I made these for our custodian, Randy.  He is such an amazing guy, and has been very helpful in teaching us the "ropes"of South Dakota life.  After my class sang Happy Birthday to him, one of my girls said, "Randy, can we give you a hug? You are like our grandpa."  Next thing you know he has six girls hugging him.  Melted my heart.
 
 
 
I certainly attest to running the knife along the edges after it cools for five minutes, it was a very helpful tip!
 
 
 
These cookies went to my friends at the bank, telephone authority, and doctor's office.
 
The FLOP:
 
 
I made these the night before I took them to work.  HH tried one, and said they were good.  I don't know if it was the apple pie filling, but they just looked like mush the next day.  :(
 
For Wednesday Night Church:
 
 
 
Two New Items I Love:
 
Dawn Oxi
 
 
I've had problems feeling like my dishes were clean without using a ton of dish soap.  My brother has researched the portable dishwasher for us.  While we still might get it, last week it was more important to purchase our plane tickets to Portland, Oregon for our vacation starting May 20th.   (Woo Hoo!)  Being able to purchase our plane tickets for vacation was in part possible because my mother-in-law is paying for our tickets to visit North Carolina at Christmas.
 
This dish soap is amazing!  I love how it works, and as much as I don't like washing dishes, it is making washing them much easier and effective than before.
 
 
I love that it has a ruler on it, and makes cutting bars so much easier.  I would often have HH cut them because I didn't feel I could get a good angle on it.  I don't need that anymore. 
 
Treat Bags for my Students:
 
 
 
I found the bags at Hobby Lobby.  I think they are way cheaper than using the ink on my printer to make bag toppers.
 
Random:
 
HH and I have finished watching LOST, and are now watching Season 8 of The Office. 
 
I have eight more days of work until I get a FIVE day weekend. 
 
HH is putting up plastic on all our interior windows to ready us for winter.  All the locals think that it will be a bad one since last winter was so mild.
 
I was working on a theme for a friend's baby shower in January.  I asked HH what he thought about pink owls.  He asked why, there seemed to be no point.  I said that a lot of things with babies don't have a point, but are cute.  He insisted that their be a connection, so he said, "Well, they are calling it Baby C, and owls have big eyes....so I guess it could work."
 
HH is a Box Top Counting Rock Star.  He counted hundreds of them this week!
 
Not sure what to try first?  Of everything I made this week, the Peanut Butter Cup S'more Bars and the White Chocolate S'mores Gooey Cake Bars were my favorite.
 

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

Holy cow, you were a busy woman!! Everything looks delish!!

When we were first married, and living in an apartment, my sister and mother felt sorry for me because I didn't have a dishwasher, so for Christmas the year before Stud was born, they bought us a portable dishwasher. It was awesome!!! When we bought this house, it immediately went into the basement kitchen (since the house has a built-in dishwasher in the kitchen) and got TONS of use, since we had lots of parties in that basement. It finally died last year (after almost 20 years!) and I promptly replaced it. It was a necessity, since I had two teenage boys living in the basement last year. ;-)

The only crappy thing? Portable dishwashers (at least here) are more expensive than built-ins. I ended up buying both at the same time (since the upstairs one wasn't working so great, but again, we've been in this house almost 20 years!) The downstairs (portable) dishwasher was almost $200 more! But, I gladly paid it, knowing how much I adore my dishwashers. Plus, they're so much better for the environment. They use so much less water, and soap. Plus, just think of how much you'll save on lotion since you won't have dishpan hands anymore! tee hee hee!!!

xoxox