Friday, September 28, 2012

Celebrations

This week has been a good week.  I've cooked the same dinner several nights in a row (Parmesan Tilapia and Creamed Spinach), and HH has been very tolerant about it.  I have new dinner recipes, I just need to get out of the funk and back into making them.

I was able to visit with a good friend who had just returned from surgery at Mayo.  It made me happy to see her on the mend.

Our renter called from our condo back in Kentucky.  The freezer is on the fritz.  I authorized a service visit, and will find out today if we are replacing a part, or if the entire refrigerator needs to be replaced.  I am hoping that it is just a part since the fridge side works fine.  She was super nice about everything.  This is the first time in fourteen months that she has called us.  She always pays two weeks before her rent is due, and sends an email to confirm that her payment has been received.  I really hope she wants to stay for a bit longer than July 2014.  (She signed a two year lease.)

Funny things that my students say.... A boy who was out of town for two days at a doctor's appointment handed me back a folder full of make-up work.  I was surprised because I had just asked him to complete three items, and we would work a bit each day to catch up.  He said, "If you don't write my mom a note, she will make me do everything."  Another student said something about free time, to which his classmate replied, "Free time....we don't get any free time in here."  I said, "Yes you do, from 3:15 until 8:00 am."  It was cute that they realize we really work each day in school.

Now, onto the recipes....

Peanut Butter Pie


I had planned on making two pies, but when I doubled the recipe, it was easily enough for four pies.  I took one to each grade level in my building.  Very easy to make, you just need the time to allow it to chill before serving.

White Chocolate Butter Bars


These bars turned out great, but did take forever to set.  I had to add over 10 minutes to the recipe time. After church, a boy was cleaning up, and he got ready to take a half-eaten bar to the trash, and his mom said, "Son, stop it, you can't throw that away."  She was planning on taking it home.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Banana Cream Pudding Cookies



Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

My best friend is a secretary and her family owns a ranch in town.  I found these edible cap toppers on Etsy.  These cupcakes are way up there with anything you would find in a gourmet cupcake shop, and I feel that they are the best I have ever made.  I still am not ready to put forth the effort to do fancy icing, but I think they turned out lovely.



Here they are all fancied up on the cake stand that I am presenting to my birthday friend.  



Treat for the Nuggets:

I saw this on a blog, and HH helped me to make all the faces and color them in with Sharpies.  It is a super easy activity, and I could see kids doing it themselves.  I know some schools are switching to "healthy only" items for Halloween/Harvest parties.


No comments: