Thursday, December 22, 2011

Our Love is Black, White, Tan....

My post title is a song that came out years ago by Nicole C. Mullen.  I loved the message of our love for her husband, and their multi-racial family.  This is a conversation I had with one of my girls last week.

"Mrs. F, why do you want to adopt black babies?"

"Well G, I think that God loves all colors of babies, and so do I."

"I know, but why don't you want a tan baby (motioning down to her skin tone...Native American)?"

"Well, G, I guess if you think about it black babies are just like you except they have really really good tans."

G giggles.  Then, fearing she has offended me, she starts talking about how she will be a really good babysitter when we get the baby, etc.

I love innocent conversations with kids about race.

We meet in April with the adoption agency to start the process.  I am excited.  HH is excited.

Can't wait to read Kisses from Katie...

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

I don't know what happened to the comment I THOUGHT I left you this morning...

I'm so excited for you guys. I didn't know you guys were doing this so soon. Congratulations!