Saturday, July 27, 2013

Lessons from the Camp Kitchen

This past week I was assistant cook at a Christian Camp.  I learned a lot.  I worked under a woman who had ran the kitchen for the past six years.  

1.  I enjoyed producing food for a lot of people.
2.  I liked the routine things we did for each meal.
3.  An organized kitchen does increase your productivity.
4.  You can be assertive in leading people, and not be a nag.
5.  I loved seeing the smiles on campers faces coming through the line.
6.  There are many things I could do to carry over items into second and third meals, if I think more intentionally.

I have a lot to work on with the details of perfecting my craft.  I do plan on going back to work as cook next summer, at least for one week, but I'd love to do two weeks.

No comments: