Saturday, October 30, 2010

Would You Like a Check with That?



I am blogging at the GED Center while the students are taking their tests.  Please check out the article linked above.  This is not meant to be a bashing post, but my personal take on things and how it relates to my journey out of obesity.

McDonalds has been a huge part of my life.  I had my third birthday there.  (That was back when it was THE premier place to have your birthday party.  I even got to see Ronald McDonald.)  My mom did most of the child rearing, as my dad typically worked second or third shift, and was always doing odd jobs (primarly painting) for my uncle to supplement our family income.  My mom did the best that she could, but many nights we had McDonalds for dinner because she was too tired, or we had to stay late for a school function.  Part of my blog has been about personal ownership of what "I" did to get to almost 400 pounds.  I couldn't help my upbringing, but I made a lot of poor choices when I from 18-27 that skyrocketed my weight to 393.6 pounds.

I don't think the man should be able to sue McDonalds.  I understand there might be pressure to drink the kool-aid and eat there everyday, but after some time you just have to get TIRED of eating the same thing everyday.  If I didn't want to say it was for my health, I would say it was for lack of variety/boredom with what I was eating.  I do think that he had a choice. 

I had a choice.  I decided to eat McDonalds twice a day a least 3-4 days a week.  I always supersized my coke and fries.  I got things to dip my fries into.  Heaven help me with those 2 for $1 Apple Pies!  (Funny, now apple pies are the only thing I will get from McDonalds.  The smell of the restaurant physically makes me ill.  Even when I am not eating it, I cannot stand the smell.  I am happy for big miracles there!)

3 comments:

MB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ice Queen said...

I agree with you. No one held a gun to my head and forced me to eat myself to 400+ pounds. I did that, all on my own. The choices were mine.

That man chose to eat the food at his workplace. He could have packed a healthier lunch and brought it in to work with him. Or he could have gone elsewhere for healthier options. Heck, McDonald's sells salads and other lower cal foods, you just have to be smart and creative to make good choices. He should have not filed that suit and he most definitely shouldn't have won.

MB said...

I'm a fellow McDonalds b-day party haver too. It was the place back in the day. I wish I, like you and several others whose blogs I read, didn't like McDonalds since WLS. But my lapband didn't take away my former cravings unfortunately. :(